This vegan mayo is better than conventional mayo. Every time I make it, I’m surprised at how good it is! Use it anywhere you’d use conventional mayo.
- 1 (12.3 ounce) organic firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu brand)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Put all ingredients into a blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Store in jar in the refrigerator for up to five days.
Nutrition Facts: Conventional mayo is an emulsion made of egg yolks and oil. Eggs are the number one source of cholesterol in the western diet. A meta-analysis in the journal Atherosclerosis[i] found that there is a dose-responsive positive association between egg consumption and the risk of both cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Less than just one egg per day was found to increase risk of heart disease.
On the other hand, this low-fat mayo is made of rich, creamy silken tofu, which has been found to lower cholesterol and has a beneficial effect on coronary risk factors[ii].
Recipe by Emily Honeycutt, 2016. © All Rights Reserved. www.emilyhoneycutt.com
[i] Y Li, C Zhou, X Zhou, L Li. Egg consumption and risk of cardiovascular diseases and diabetes: A meta-analysis. Atherosclerosis. 2013 229(2):524 – 530.
[ii] Reynolds K, Chin A, Lees KA, Nguyen A, Bujnowski D, He J. A meta-analysis of the effect of soy protein supplementation on serum lipids. Am J Cardiol. 2006 Sep 1;98(5):633-40. Epub 2006 Jul 12.